Saturday 22 February 2014

Earl Grey & Caramel Macarons


My third try making macarons. The first time - total disaster. The second time was better but I was so tired I didn't fill them. This time was okaaay. They're no TWG Macarons but after all that hard work I thought I should at least take some photos.


The hardest part - blending the almond pieces into almost powder consistency. WHY does no one sell Almond Flour in Malaysia??


Earl Grey tea leaves give the batter an interesting speckled look


I stopped shortly after this stage but I think I should have mixed more


Little blue pancakes resting before they get chucked into the oven


Yummy! Not too sweet thanks to the Earl Grey and salt in batter and caramel.

Results: Some of my macaron shells cracked and some did not develop feet. I think overall I was more successful using the Italian method. This time I wanted to try the French technique because it seemed easier but next time I'll definitely do the Italian. They weren't as temperature sensitive I guess. These macarons were baked at too low a temperature at first (around 125 celsius) and failed to develop much feet. The second batch I baked at 150 celsius and they were fine. By the last batch I'm thinking my oven had gotten too hot and almost all cracked.

Also, I suck at filling - gah! Next time I'm just going to pay for my favourite TWG macarons. 


I used a combination of these recipes:




No comments:

Post a Comment