Thursday 19 February 2015

The Hunt for Mason Jars etc.



Hi, my name is Ryn, and I'm addicted to glass jars. It's true. I indulged again today when I purchased yet another set of Mason jars (the cute short one on the far right)! In this post, I'm going to indulge myself even more by TALKING about buying jars. It's like having your cake and eating it too!


Say hello to my precious lovelies. From the left:

1. The Vintage Coke Bottle 
2. The Milk Bottle 
3. The Ball Mason Jar (Pint Size)
4. The Pudding Cup
5. The Ball Collection Elite Mason Jar (Half pint)


I don't know if this is common knowledge but the only place in K.L. where I have been to find a true Mason Jar, is ACE Hardware. ACE sells a small range of Ball brand jars in several shapes and sizes. They're beautiful and hardy and amazingly photogenic. They're also crazy expensive for little pieces of glass. For a carton of 12 Pint Sized Mason Jars, you'll fork out RM90 (something!) . For a set of 4 half-pint sized Elite Mason Jars (right), you'll begrudgingly pay RM42.90. Compare this with my little glass Pudding Cup (left), purchased from QualityPack a small shop lot in Puchong, which costs no more than 30sen/piece

Why then would I purchase a Mason Jar you ask?
Well, first, a Ball Mason jar is made out of a much sturdier glass which can withstand most oven baking and freezing without cracking. So far, I've made baked macaroni and chocolate lava cake in my jars without any incidents. They're also perfect for storing homemade ice cream. Meanwhile, the lady at QualityPack advised me not to bake their glass jars unless maybe in a waterbath but I'm too chicken to try. And second, LOOK AT IT! It's sooo pretttyyyyyyy! I rest my case.


Having said that though, these non-branded glass jars have served me well too. The Vintage Coke Bottle (left) I've used for parties to serve individual portions of drinks. The Pudding Cup (right) is great for desserts that don't need to be baked like Chocolate Mousse, homemade beauty products and gifting. Both these glasses are from QualityPack and didn't cost more than 50sen each. They also come in many different sizes so are very versatile. The downside is that you'll have to purchase a minimum of 20 or 30 at a time.

Read this post for details on where to get the Milk Bottle (center).


My Pint Sized Mason Jar in action. It's carrying some homemade chocolate ice cream all ready to be gifted.

Here are the addresses and contact numbers of where to get these jars and more:

No. 52, Jalan Puchong Mesra 1,
Plaza Puchong, Batu 7 1/2 Jalan Puchong,
58200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: +60 3 80763800
Fax: +60 3 80753687

Check out their website to find a store near you. I bought mine from the Publika branch but I would call ahead to check if they have the size you're looking for as they often have limited quantities of each type or they may bring in new ones.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your information!
    Ihave been looking for stores that selling mason jars in KL !

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sell em in Jaya Grocer as well. Got mine in Empire Subang. but thanks for info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kenn,

      Yes, i just noticed them there this week at thw Intermark branch. They don't have many different types and sizes though. But the price is more or less the same i think.

      At ACE hardware i saw a few months ago that they even stock the vintage or heritage collection which has green tinted glass!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for the useful information, been looking around for Mason jars of a particular size.. You've got a lovely collection there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for the useful information, been looking around for Mason jars of a particular size.. You've got a lovely collection there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featured products that this china glass bottle manufacturer include brandy bottles, olive oil bottles, Vodka glass bottles, Whiskey bottles and other bottles that are made of high quality glass and designed to look unique. When you visit. RS Glass bottle

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is mellow with a fruity base around the edges. Going down, it is not exactly smooth, but it is still better than Hiram Walker Special Old. However, Glass bottles Suppliers

    ReplyDelete